Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mayberry

Perhaps I'm the only one that's noticed that Mayberry is getting further and further away with each progressive electronic device that is made. Now that our lives have become cluttered with so many options, we have become more focused upon superficial items that should be holding less value than our meaningful relationships. And what relationship is more important, more fragile, and more all-consuming than that between a parent and a child?

In my day job I am the primary caregiver to fourteen two-year-olds (which may or may not sound like a nightmare, depending on your comfort level with young children) and I see on a daily basis just how overwhelming it can be to have a full-time job and be a full-time parent. There have been times when, to pacify an antsy toddler, I've had parents hand their child their  iPhone or Blackberry to play with while they sign them out; and it never fails to amaze me that my two-year-olds are capable of working these devices better than most adults! This just proves to me how intelligent, curious, and capable these children are. Knowing that they have so much potential, parents should really take advantage of their children's capabilities and turn it into fun family games, thereby creating memorable moments. Use what you have and exhaust all your resources before you feel like you have to go out and spend money to entertain your child. All your child (children) really want is to spend quality time with you, so give them what they want....your full and undivided love, affection, and attention!


I want to create a movement, to summon a change, and to call upon all of you working and stay-at-home parents to challenge yourselves to enrich your relationship with your children. I know it may not be easy, and I know you will get tired or frustrated (because after all, children are very hard-headed and determined in early childhood), but the rewards will far surpass the setbacks. If you want to join a community of devoted dads and marvelous moms, then let us unite and share our wealth of wisdom with others! Please join me on this ride, I know we can make it a fun one!

2 comments:

  1. A family friend of ours gave me the link to your blog and I'm glad she did. I'm a stay at home mom to a beautiful 5 month old little girl and I hope that by staying home I get to enrich her life in ways others can not. Now don't get me wrong - I see nothing wrong with daycare but I feel I am the best person to raise and teach my child until she is of a certain age. I look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my blog! I am very passionate about children and creating wonderful and enriching experiences for them. I love that you are a stay at home mom, and I completely agree with your beliefs. I feel that you have a wonderful opportunity that is not afforded to many people, so enjoy it- I know your daughter will!
    I'll try to research some fun ideas for infants to see if I can produce an informative and helpful post for you! Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete